In a nutshell …
- Dedinghausen is a village belonging to the city of Lippstadt, to the district of Soest, to the administrative region of Arnsberg, and to the state of NRW
- Located approx. 4 km east of the Lippstadt city center
- 1832 residents (as of 1.1.2017)
- 4,91 km2 area
- Founded in 1036
- Active community and manifold clubs
- One of the parts of Lippstadt with the youngest population (in average)
- Oldest village newspaper in Germany
- Kindergarden and primary school
- Ludwig Fresenius school
- Train station for the railway line Münster – Hamm – Lippstadt – Paderborn – Warburg – Kassel
Dedinghausen was founded around 1036 and is therefore one of the oldest villages in the periphery of Lippstadt. The precise year is unknown, but the local administration chose that year by celebrating the 950th anniversary in the year 1986. The family of Dedinghausen, which is verifiable in the 13th and 14th century, carried the lying Wolfsangel as their coat of arms. Blue and silver are the colors of the Earls of Arnsberg, who owned several estates in Dedinghausen.
Dedinghausen has its own kindergarten and also an elementary school. A secondary school existed until a few years ago and then was converted to become the Ludwig Fresenius School for physiotherapy and ergotherapy. Secondary schools and higher schools can be reached via bus or train in the city center of Lippstadt or other neighbouring cities.
The religious center of the village is the Catholic church “St. John the Baptist” located in the western part of Dedinghausen. In 1701 the predecessor church, a small half-timbered chapel, was built, and had to be demolished in 1884 due to dilapidation. The planning for today’s church began in 1924 and on 13 April 1925 the foundation stone for the new construction was laid. On 29 September 1926, the church was inaugurated by Rev. Johannes Pieper. A renovation took place from 1992 to 1993 and after a fire in the confessional chair on 13 March 1998 the interior was renovated again.A Protestant church does not exist in Dedinghausen, but in the neighbouring village Hörste.
Dedinghausen has its own train station for the railway line Münster – Hamm – Lippstadt – Paderborn – Warburg – Kassel. Furthermore, several bus stops exist here for the bus line between the city center of Lippstadt and Geseke.
The economy is dominated by several farms with the cultivated fields located in the surrounding countryside. Numerous installed photovoltaic systems produce and market electric energy. Furthermore, service companies like lawyers, architects and building design have their offices in Dedinghausen and there are shops of a baker, a hair dresser, a florist and for beverages. The local gastronomy consists of three restaurants and a pizzeria.
Clubs and Village Newspaper
As in many villages, also in Dedinghausen the social life is structured by several clubs. For sports, the club “SV Blau-Weiß Dedinghausen” with the divisions football, tennis, archery and general sports, as well as the club “TTV-DJK Dedinghausen” for table tennis have to be mentioned.Further clubs include for example the “Schützenverein”, the carnival association and the Kolpingsfamilie Esbeck, which also includes the members of Dedinghausen. Founded in 1934, the volunteer fire brigade Dedinghausen celebrated its 75th anniversary in 2009.The monthly newspaper “Dedinghausen aktuell” is the oldest village newspaper in Germany, providing information about village activities since 1972 and is an important publication medium for the clubs in particular.
Roughly translated from the German page version which is an extract of and by courtesy of Wikipedia: